Not if I wanted to live. Besides resentment having a physical effect on my body that nearly killed me, it hurt me in so many other ways.
- Divorce – I had no harmony to bring into a marriage. Only anger.
- Estrangement From My children – Resentment had so hardened my heart that I became mean and unforgiving and you know what they say about stuff rolling down hill.
- Unemployment – I took my anger out on people at work and could always justify my quitting over “their” wrong actions. But it was really my anger history that disrupted my work.
- Alcoholism – Besides it being an inherited disease, my inability to deal with stress was a contributing factor to hiding in alcohol.
I want to assure you that with God’s help you can forgive anyone anything and you can stop allowing resentment to destroy your happiness.
Let me give you a few examples of some of life’s biggest resentment-makers:
- Abandonment: by parent, spouse or best friend.
- Abuse: Physical, mental, emotional or sexual.
- Betrayal: Cheating spouse or someone in authority.
- Favoritism: Being overlooked for someone else’s benefit, to your detriment.
I know you can think of many other causes that you’ve experienced that caused you to hold onto resentment much longer than you could have. But it’s hurting you and it can kill you.